http://fpclebanon.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/brogden-the-abundant-life.jpg 562 1000 Sherard Edington http://dev.fpclebanon.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/logo_white-300x197.png Sherard Edington2023-05-04 19:34:052023-05-04 19:45:27Abundant Life
In my sermon, The Lord Is My Shepherd, on April 30, 2023, I discussed Jesus’ statement, I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly (John 10:10). I then posed the question, “What is abundant life?” As an answer, I suggested that Psalm 23 is an excellent descriptor of abundant life. When we live in relationship with God, then God provides for us and watches over us. I then requested that the congregation write down examples of abundant life that they had received or witnessed. Below are the examples that have been shared with me.
Abundant Life is…
- Compassionate Hands. Feeding the homeless.
- Shared affection between and among humans and animals.
- Help put out the salt and pepper shakers on the table on Wednesday nights.
- Close relationship between me, my spouse, and our adult children and grandchildren. What a blessing! Abundant Life Indeed.
- Teaching at-risk teenagers.
- When I requested on Facebook prayers for my son, gravely and suddenly ill, I was stunned by the many responses. He recovered quickly.
- A nice, freedom to worship and plenty of everything.
- Sharing of food.
- Thoughtful expressions of care and concern during difficult times.
- Help put out the music for the choir.
- All those, both new friends and complete strangers who surrounded us during the tornado on March 3, 2020, and prayed for us. There are so many more.
- Habitat builds.
- The health of my grandchildren.
- The work of Living Waters for the World and Solar Under the Sun in Latin America.
- Abundant Life: Faith, Family, and Friends! To share my life is so rewarding, hopefully means much to others as me.
- Community cook out.
- Abundant Life: On Saturday, April 22, an 11 year old girl received a heart transplant at Monroe Carell Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt. She will be released to go home tomorrow, May 1! Praise be to God!
- Abundant Life: Opportunity to spend time with family during this time of sickness. The thief is robbing me of health but not of relationships.
- Abundant Life: Friends who take us as we are and celebrate what we have had and mourn with us.
- Lasagna Love is a group that formed during the pandemic. We provided lasagna to people who ask to be supplied a home-cooked meal. There is no criteria to be met. It is a simple way to share God’s bounty.